Transport for children with special educational needs and disability (SEND)

If your child has an Education Health and Care (EHC) plan, you will need to:

For more advice, read the school and college transport policy.

Transport will only be provided to the nearest school or college which meets your child’s needs, as agreed by the county council.

If you live in a town, transport will only be provided to the nearest school, subject to the distance criteria above. 

Distances to schools are calculated using the shortest, safest route. 

Designated transport areas can be viewed in our School and college transport policy, or you can email

Transport only includes your child's journey to school in the morning and home from school at the end of the school day. 

Independent travel training

Independent travel training is for anyone who has an entitlement to transport provided by us. 

It involves one-to-one training to help children and young people develop the confidence and skills needed to travel independently.  

For more details, read about Independent Travel Training.

Changing address, school or college during the academic year

If you change address, school, or college, you must reapply for transport for SEND.

Cancellation of transport

To cancel your transport, please send your details to