How we can support you

If you are a parent, carer or young person, we can give advice by email or phone to:

  • talk you through any concerns and answer questions
  • help you to understand SEND law, policies and procedures, including EHC process and annual reviews
  • help you to understand how to make a complaint
  • explain what your options are
  • provide you with resources and support packs
  • signpost you to other relevant sources of help
  • explain your options when you turn 16 or 19

If we speak with you on the phone, we will always follow this up with an email so you have all the information you need.

In some situations, we can allocate a Liaise caseworker to provide further support, which is agreed with the family and detailed in a signed support agreement.

We also provide training and workshops to local education, health and social care professionals, children, young people and parents to increase knowledge of SEND law, guidance and local policy.

If you are a parent, carer, child or young person you can call Liaise on 0800 195 1635 or fill in the contact form

If you are professional wanting to request information for a young person, please complete this form, making sure you have their consent before doing so

Some useful groups you can contact for help



If you have any comments or complaints about the Liaise service, please use the county council's comments and feedback page