Self employment means working for yourself.
Starting a business can mean earning money and building skills in a way that fits your needs and lifestyle.
Being self employed means:
- you run a business for yourself
- you have several customers at the same time
- you can decide how, where and when you do your work
- you cal sell goods or services to make a profit
There are downsides too:
- lack of employee benefits, like sick pay and holiday pay
- possible long working hours
- responsibility for your own tax returns
- unpredictable finances
Find more information and advice:
The Prince's Trust run a self-employment scheme in Lincolnshire, called Explore Enterprise. It is for 18-30 year olds who are thinking about self employment.
You will get:
- a two-day online workshop, covering all aspects of setting up and running a business
- two more days of support
- one to one planning meetings with a business adviser
- access to grants and funding
- two years of support from an experienced volunteer once the business launches